Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Laughter really is the best medicine!!!



My brothers....Tim (my twin on the left) and David on the right:)
I absolutely love to laugh!!  I especially love laughing till I can't breathe...you know what I'm talking about...those times that you're stomach muscles are sore and your mouth hurts the next day:)  This is what happened over the Thanksgiving weekend.  We rented a house on a lake about an hour West of St. Louis with my brothers and their families for the holiday.  It was perfect...it's about half way for us to all meet there and the place we stayed was absolutely amazing!!  The weather was beautiful and the kids (and adults) always had something to do with a full finished basement that had a pool table, foosball table, poker table, and a 110 inch projection TV with theater seats.  Watching football on it was awesome and, of course, the boys enjoyed playing video games on it as well:)   The kids would get up in the morning and head straight to the basement, only coming upstairs to eat and sleep it seems:)  We had the best time...as we always do when we get together!  It was so nice to just relax and spend time enjoying each others company...it was a much needed mini vacation!!    We're already planning another trip there:)

On the way home I noticed that my stomach muscles were actually sore and realized it had to be from laughing so much....unless all the food I consumed stretched my stomach out:)  I can't remember the last time I laughed so much...it was great!!  Between my brothers and Scott there was never a dull moment.  That's how it always is when we all get together.  I guess you could say that I'm easily entertained anyway, but they really are funny!!  It doesn't take much to get me laughing so, of course, they take every opportunity to do just that!  The fact that Scott makes me laugh like my brothers always have is a huge reason why I fell in love with him.  I love to be around people who are lighthearted and full of joy!

Sometimes I feel like life gets so busy and serious that I don't spend near enough time laughing like I used to.  I  think too often I become so distracted with things that I need to get done or circumstances in life that I allow it to consume me and keep me from finding joy in the little things.  I know that laughter is truly therapeutic for me...it makes me feel good!!  This past weekend was a great reminder that I need to not take life or myself too seriously.  Most people who know me would probably say that they don't see me that way, but I have come to see it in myself over the last several years and realize I like myself better when I'm laughing and enjoying life.

So the 7th thing on my countdown to 40 that I've learned is that laughter truly is the best medicine.   Laughing with others and at myself makes life so much more enjoyable!!  Laughter can turn a bad day into a great day...sadness to gladness...and tears into a smile.  I'm thankful for an amazing weekend with my family and the memories that will continue to bring a smile to my face for years to come:)  I feel blessed beyond what I deserve!!

No comments:

Post a Comment