Monday, October 10, 2011

The pain of loss...

Mount Vernon Nazarene University - News, Accident

As the MVNU community struggles to deal with the tragic loss of one of the nursing students, I'm all too keenly aware of the pain associated with the loss of a loved one. My heart is broken for the family of Justina, even though I didn't personally know her or her family. When things like this happen, it takes me back 26 years ago to the loss of my mom and the heart wrenching pain I felt. I remember waking up in tears for months after my mom's death with the realization that it wasn't just a bad dream I was having, but the miserable reality in which I was living. I know this must be what Justina's family is going through and will for months, even years, to come. Although the loss of a parent at a young age was hard, I can't even begin to imagine the pain of losing a child. We have such hopes and dreams for our children....and to have them go before us is not how it's supposed to happen.

Some things I am praying during this difficult time....
* for Justina's family...that somehow in the midst of their incredible pain, they will find a sense of peace knowing that Justina is not suffering, but is resting in the arms of Jesus
*for the other 4 girls in the accident....for healing, both physically and emotionally
*for the MVNU campus staff and faculty as they wade through some tough waters this week and in the weeks to come
*for the MVNU students as they struggle to deal with such a tragedy...there is no understanding a tragedy such as this

One of my favorite scriptures that I've gone back to time and time again in times of great hopelessness in my life is Isaiah 40:31...."but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." I pray that the Williams family as well as the MVNU community can find and put their hope in the Lord in the midst of this tragedy knowing that He will be with them and give them the strength to carry on.

Thanks for your prayers during this time...I know God hears each and every one of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment