Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Countdown to 40....

We just returned from vacation at Myrtle Beach and while we were there I celebrated my 39th birthday, which got me to thinking about my last year in the 30's.  For my birthday, one of the things my husband bought me was a book titled 'The Happiness Project' by Gretchen Rubin. He thought it would be a fun, easy read while I laid on the beach...and it was!!  I'm still working through it, but am intrigued and challenged by much of what I'm reading? In a nutshell, the author spends a year of doing little (and some big) things each month with the goal of seeing if indeed it would bring more happiness than she already had at the end of the year.  In thinking about this, I'm finding myself challenged to spend the last year in my 30's really focusing on my life and how I live it, maybe not necessarily a happiness project, but  reflecting on where I've been and where I'm going....enjoying the journey by learning from the past and doing the things right now that can only make things better today and in the future.  Lord knows there are many things that need cleaning up in my life as well as things I'd like to do to better myself. I will say that today I'm doing better than ever and am so thankful for God's grace and the support of my amazing family and friends that have helped me thus far!      

So rolling into my 39th year has me reflecting and anticipating what lies ahead.  I don't remember thinking much about the last year in my 20's, although I do remember dreading being 30...I thought that sounded so old:)  At the time I had a 7 year old and a 5 year old, was a stay at home mom and a youth pastor's wife.  I don't remember feeling as reflective and sentimental as I do now...probably because I was too busy and overwhelmed with motherhood:)  In the next year, not only will I turn 40, but my oldest son will graduate high school and my youngest will turn 16 and start driving....wasn't it just yesterday they were starting school and riding tricycles???  I want, more than anything, to savor this next year, soak up all the precious time I can with my family and look ahead to what 40 will bring instead of dreading it.  So I've decided to intentionally work on myself...physically, emotionally, financially and spiritually...so I can soar into the 40's...all while reflecting and remembering the journey of how I've made it to this point in my life!!  I'm sure it'll be quite entertaining:))

So here is my goal over the next year...
1.  To reflect on 40 things that have happened in my life, both positive and negative, and what I've learned from them and... 


2.  To find 40 things that I can work on moving forward to help clear the path so that the journey I'm on can be more enjoyable and rewarding.  


I'm really excited about this!!!  Anyone can join with me in this adventure (you don't have to be 39 to do this:).  Life is a journey....I want to make the most of it!!


Thanks!
Katie
     

7 comments:

  1. Yay for you!! I've got you bookmarked! You're so special to me. I love you and your life! Now an added blessing will come my way each time you post something new on your blog.
    Love you, girl!
    Felicia

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are precious Felicia!! Thanks for always being so encouraging! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh Katie...I absolutely love this!! I am going to follow your journey. I am in my 49th year and trying SO hard not to dread turning 50. Perhaps your blog will help get me through it! :) So...here's to being in our '9th year, being thankful for it,...and TRYING to love it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks JoAnn!! I would never have believed you were 49!! You look wonderful!! It's going to be a great year...I can't believe I'm actually excited to see what it holds! Now let's just see if I still feel that way this time next year:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katie, I love this idea! It is a challenge and a great way to stay accountable with your goals. By the way 40 is younger and younger all the time. This girlfriend has 2 and 1/2 years until 50. Whew! That's a half of a century but I still feel young at heart! Your blog is a great way to stay connected to you! Thanks for starting to write.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice idea, Katie. It's funny how some of us react to different ages. For me 35 felt like a big milestone birthday and there were some significant changes in my thinking around that time but 40 wasn't that big of a deal. This is going to be so much fun--but I can only work on 2 things at a time and will probably plod into my 50's four years from now. _You_ do the soaring! By the way, my sister really liked The Happiness Project. I haven't read it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks girls! I'm excited...I need accountability, especially when I have days like I've had today:) I'm hoping this will help me to reach some of my goals instead of just talking about them ...it's time and I'm ready!! Love to you sweet friends!!

    ReplyDelete