Friday, July 29, 2011

Life is an amusement park ride...







I know I've said it before, but I absolutely love summer!!  We've been having so much fun!!  It has been packed full as always, but I wouldn't change it...it has been a blast!  I'm realizing that it is coming to an end thought...with soccer tournaments, practices, scrimmages and then games starting this weekend, the school time routine is about to begin:( 

Our last big event of the summer has been a visit from my twin brother and his family...we've had a great time with them as always!!  My stomach muscles are sore from laughing so much and I have definitely eaten more than my share of junk to last for a while:)  We drove up to Sandusky and spent a day at Cedar Point and couple nights at the Kalahari Resort and indoor/outdoor water park, which is an amazing place to stay (in case you want a fun place to take the fam:)!!  We spent the first day at Cedar Point, which is well known for having some of the best roller coasters around.  We got there shortly after it opened and went straight to a roller coaster (the Raptor) as we entered the park.  I was so excited since it'd been a while since I'd ridden one!  We stood in line for over an hour in the hot sun (although I'm not complaining...it was only in the mid 80's with little to no humidity...sorry to my friends down south:).  For those who don't know me well, I have always struggled with motion sickness.  Although I've never been able to ride things that spin, most of the time I've been able to ride rollercoasters without much trouble.  But it seems now as I'm getting older, that's not so much the case.  We got on the 'Raptor' and I was so excited...it's one of those roller coasters where your feet dangle, which is so cool!  The ride started and as soon as we went through the first twist and loop, I realized that I was not feeling so good.  I shut my eyes and just prayed for the ride to hurry and be over so I could get off.  It was a horrible feeling!!  As soon as it was over, I went and sat on a bench in the shade and Scott went to get me some water.  I felt gross for the next couple of hours and decided that it was not worth it, no matter how fun it was, to ride any more rollercoasters.  I rode the antique cars, the ferris wheel and, one of my favorites, the bumper cars:) and that was it....all day!!!  I sat out while everyone else enjoyed all the wild rides.  The crazy thing is, I still had a great time!!  There was something about seeing my family all having fun and laughing that made it all worth it to me!  I loved seeing their faces when they would come off a ride to tell me how incredible it was!!  I couldn't help but have a good time knowing they were having a great day!    


My life has been much like amusement park rides in many ways.  Like my day at Cedar Point, the 'Raptors' of my life, with all the twists, turns and loops, have brought highs and lows...some have been hard to go through and left me feeling bad, but others have brought much happiness and laughter.  Sometimes, my life has been like the bumper cars....aimless, out of control, bumpy and stuck.  Other times, it's been smooth, much like the ferris wheel where I could just sit back and enjoy life and the view from the top.  I realize that sometimes I'm so wrapped up in what's going on in my own life that I fail to recognize the joys and sorrows of others.  I'm so thankful for the people in my life, like my brother and his family, that have helped me to realize that we don't go through life alone!!  In the good times and bad, we have each other...what a true blessing!    


So the second thing in my countdown to 40 that I want to work on:


2.  Enjoying the ride, whether it be mine or others!!  Knowing that life is not always going to be smooth, I want to enjoy the journey by taking in the little things that I sometimes might miss otherwise.  I want to find joy and celebrate with others in the good times and, as well, be sensitive and understanding when others go through hard times.


It was so hard to say goodbye to my family as they left to go back to OKC...It makes me wish that we lived closer so we could see each other more:(  I feel truly blessed to have such amazing people in my life that I can enjoy all the many rides of life with... 













     


              

No comments:

Post a Comment